Monday, April 08, 2013

Worrying

I am a worrier. I like things to be organised and sorted. Alphabetised and codified. I like to know the plan, schedule and itinerary.

But guess what. That's not how God works. He works in ways that we can't possibly imagine. And very often he waits until the last minute. Which can be very nerve-racking for a worrier like myself.

I like to worry about the big things in life, and as if that wasn't stressful enough, I like to worry about all the little details too. Very often I find myself worrying about nothing but the little things because God has already taken care of the big things. He has provided for all the big things in my life for the next year; and so because it would be absolutely pointless to worry about that, I now worry about the smaller things. Even though in my head I know it is illogical, because why would God fix all the big things if he had no intention of working out all the small details too? 

I know God is great and that he will look after me, yet at the same time I am anxious. I worry because I do not know how everything will come about. And that scares me. 
God doesn't want us to worry. He wants us to trust in him. Our anxiety is proof that we do not trust in him. 

One of my favourite bible verses right now is 1 Peter 5v6-7.

And God will exalt you in due time, if you humble yourselves under his mighty hand by casting all your cares on him because he cares for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Each comment is like a gift. They bring a smile to my face.