Friday, June 22, 2012

In which I watch THOR!!

I am a major Comic book hero fan! Batman, Captain America, Spiderman, Ironman, you name it I love it.

However Thor was one that I didn't really know much about. But when I realised that he featured in Avengers assemble, and was a Marvel Comic hero I had to watch it of course.
I watched it last night. So I am now finally ready to watch Avengers! Which I plan on saving until my flight to LA, along with the Hunger Games; I've got to have some things to make an eleven and a half hour flight exciting, otherwise I'd probably go mad.

Anyways, on we go.


I will start of by saying that, I love Tom Hiddleston. Not in the irritating, fangirl way; you know, the girls who sit in front of you at the cinema and sigh and squeal the whole way through the film and really, really get on your nerves. Nope, definitely not like that.
On the other hand, Chris Hemsworth, well, I found him...... annoying. Even though, I'd only ever seen him in Star Trek, and the trailers for Cabin in the woods and Snow White and the Huntsman. Yep, that's the truth, hehe, confession over.

However, having seen this movie, I am now even more impressed with Tom Hiddleston, he truly is a superb actor. And I don't find Hemsworth quite as annoying, so good job all round really.

So, casting ran as follows,
Chris Hemsworth as the arrogant, vain and frustrating god, Thor.
Tom Hiddleston as the silver-tongued god of mischief, Loki.
Anthony Hopkins as King of Asgard, the god Odin.


More minor yet important characters include,

Natalie Portman as the woman of science, Jane Foster.
Jaimie Alexander as the female warrior of Asgard, Sif.
Idris Elba as the gatekeeper, and Sif's brother, Heimdall.

There are of course many others including, Agent Coulson, Darcy Lewis, Erik Selvig, Volstagg, Fandral, Hogun, and of course, Jeremy Renner cameo as Clint Barton, aka, Hawkeye.


Moving along. 
The storyline is about growing as a person really. Thor is arrogant and likes to be noticed; he is also headed for the throne of Asgard, when his Father Odin dies. His brother, Loki is far less exuberant and colourful a character to begin with. However it quickly becomes clear that he is not to be trusted. After disobeying a direct command from Odin, Thor is banished to Earth. Where he learns to respect others and be humbler and serf-sacrificing, etc, etc, etc.
Turns out Loki has issues too, and before you know it *BOOM* fight! 
Turns out Thor's a pretty nice guy really. And Loki, well.. I'll let you watch the film and find out. But turns out Odin knew what was going on all along, and wanted to teach his son a lesson. 

To be honest this film doesn't have the best storyline. In fact it's probably rather weak; but I do still think it's worth a watch. There are valuable lessons that can be learnt from it. And it's got a few laughs. 
                                           "This drink, I like it, ANOTHER!"
Yep, this is  while he's still a doochebag!
Also, I must admit, I wasn't hugely impressed with the soundtrack. It was barely there. I usually notice the music. But not this time. I hope the Avengers soundtrack is better.

Another that I found weird, Thor sounds American, and Loki, British?! But they were raised in the same house? Okay then......... We'll just suspend reality for a moment, *wink, wink*
The costumes were pretty epic too. Watch out for Loki's deer helmet! And Sif's outfit it pretty cool too.
I wasn't hugely impressed with the CGI around Asgard, and the Bifrost, however in retrospect it highlighted the fact that Asgard is not like Earth, it is a separate realm, and has a magical quality, after all it is home to the gods.

But, all in all, not bad. Go watch it!

What were your thoughts on Thor?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Each comment is like a gift. They bring a smile to my face.