Sunday, June 24, 2012

Vain, me? Yes, guilty...

Title says it all really.

For years I've been under the impression that because I don't cover my face in foundation, blusher, rouge, eyeshadow, mascara, lipstick and powder, and because I don't really bother with my nails, I just cut them short and very occasionally paint them, that I was far from being a vain person.
I have acquaintances who refuse to leave the house without their makeup on. I know people who keep their nails in top-tip condition, and visit the nail salon often.
I also know people who spend an absolute fortune at the hairdressers. Who dye their hair once a month, and fret because they cannot remember what their natural hair-colour is anymore.


I was actually banned from wearing make-up, except from lip-gloss, nail varnish and concealer for the worst of spots, until I turned eighteen. And once I was eighteen it didn't really appeal to me, especially when I realised how expensive it all was! I am indeed a skin-flint, and the thought of forking out an additional £10 or more a month on what I viewed as grown-up face-paint, was not pleasant to me whatsoever.


I've always thought that wearing a tonne of make-up was akin to lying, because that's not the real you, it's a created face, and beneath all that powder your face is far more unique and interesting. With all that make-up you just look like any other girl is striving to look like a doll, with flawless skin, thick eyelashes, perfect complexion, etc, etc.

But I'm not saying make-up is inherently evil. Don't mishear me. I'm just saying that being completely obsessed with it, and not letting anyone see you without isn't healthy.

Now, as I said before, I'm not one of those girls. But does that mean I'm not vain?

No, I'm afraid not. My vanity merely lies elsewhere.

Namely, my hair.

Now I don't spend much time at the hairdressers, in fact the last time I was at a salon was the 18th of August 2011, if I recall correctly. I have my hair cut by a local lady, who charges far less; remember what I said about being a skin-flint?!

However, my most prized possession is.............

my pair of hair straighteners.

I love them. I love having my hair silky smooth and shiny. And the thought of having to buy a different pair that I can actually use in America is simply horrendous to me! No lie. I have been researching and googling and I can't seem to find a pair that equal my current pair for a decent price. I am really quite annoyed and unhappy about this situation. 
So I deduce that maybe I have a small problem here. Like maybe, I'm vain.

Hmmmm, yep, more than likely. I must be honest I don't really like people see me without my hair straightened. Confession time, when I was about fourteen, my Mum had bought me my straighteners and I was hooked, addicted, obsessed, whatever, and we had to go out somewhere, and I didn't have time to straighten my hair before we left. And boy, did I sulk about it! I was pretty miserable kid that day. Thankfully, I don't behave like that anymore. But, that doesn't mean I'm not vain.

I used to get up super early to wash, dry and straighten my hair whenever we were going out for the day; Woah, did I say, 'used to', as in past tense? I mean I still do!

Maybe I need to learn a lesson here. Is frizzy hair the end of the world?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Each comment is like a gift. They bring a smile to my face.