Sunday, November 06, 2011

Something to ponder........

If you stop fearing the Lord, you will stop fearing SIN. And when that happens, everything you deem unthinkable suddenly becomes tolerable, passable, admirable, moral, legal, and even applaudable. Dear Lord Jesus, help me to uproot such seeds of sin growing in my life and allow me to draw down daily grace so that I may glorify You with every fiber of my being. Take control of my soul, my mind, my emotions and my will. I long to follow You by all that I am even though it’s obvious I need more grace than I thought.                                        Adam Young - October 2011

So I found this passage on Adam Young's blog last month. And I think it's brilliant! He puts it so well. A fear of God is necessary to fear sin. Sin keeps us apart form God, it disrupts our relationship with him. A bit like when a child disobeys their parent, it disrupts what should be a harmonious relationship. We should regard sin with the same disgust as he does.Sin shouldn't be an option. But it can become one. Some revel and boast in their sin. They have no fear for their heavenly Father. God punishes us, just like a decent Father will discipline his children. And based on some of the punishments given to the Israelites in the Old Testament, I really don't fancy disobeying God too often!
I like the end bit, where he says he needs more grace then he initially thought. Pride likes to tell us that we're doing okay, that we're not that bad, but in reality we need vast oceans of God's grace every single day - I know I do!
 


2 comments:

  1. Well stated by both Adam Young and you, C.C.! It's a challenging reminder to see God as holy, which should lead us to fear Him in reverence and hate sin just as He hates it. But really, God's mercy and grace to us sinful humans is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of this artist and listened to some snippets of his music, but haven't ever bought one of his albums - perhaps I should though. =)

    ReplyDelete

Each comment is like a gift. They bring a smile to my face.