Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Just something that caught my attention....

This popped up on my facebook a while ago;



This kind of thing makes me shake my head and wonder. So many Christians seem to think that the devil is some creature who is easily defeated and can be inflicted with pain by simple actions we do each and every day.

But the devil is strong and he is powerful. The world in which we live in is his domain; just look at all the sin that goes on all around you. You only need to read the book of Job to see what he is capable of inflicting on people.
Job was a righteous, god-fearing man, and he was blessed for this. Yet God allowed him to suffer at the hand of Satan.

 1:7 The Lord said to Satan, “Where have you come from?” And Satan answered the Lord,  “From roving about on the earth, and from walking back and forth across it.”  1:8 So the Lord said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one like him on the earth, a pure and upright man, one who fears God and turns away  from evil.”
   
 Jesus himself was tempted by Satan while in the wilderness. 

4:1 Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.

 Satan is a powerful being, who are we to 'stomp' on him? He is powerful, and we need to guard against him, however the above is not the way to defeat him. 
Only by studying the bible, praying, staying close to God and living what we learn can we have any hope of resisting him. We are weak on our own, we cannot 'beat' Satan on our own. Carrying a bible does not worry Satan, forgiving someone who has treated you badly is more likely too. 
 We are incapable of saving ourselves from hell, so what makes us think we can 'crush' Satan? 

Just some thoughts.... 

What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Oh,yes! I completely agree! Many people make Satan into something trivial...something to make jokes about. They simply don't realize how powerful and evil he really is! {And now I'm stepping off my soapbox}
    Thank you for writing this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree as well! Whenever I see things like this ("Share if you love God, keep scrolling if you love Satan," etc.) on Facebook or some other website, it makes me think a bit how people are so quick to post this kind of stuff but not to actually live it out. I think we need to tell people more that liking or sharing something doesn't make them good Christians. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. It's nice to know someone agrees with me!

    ReplyDelete

Each comment is like a gift. They bring a smile to my face.