Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Not even a hint of love.........

So I haven't written for a while, but something really got to me at the weekend and I felt like I really wanted to write about it so I could get it straight in my head.

I'm not a fan of Bruno Mars, I've only, in truth, ever heard about three maybe four on his songs when they play on the radio. I heard his latest single on Sunday while I was in the car. The song is called Marry you, and has a very pretty background melody of bells jingling throughout. However on closer inspection of the lyrics I felt pangs of sadness and anger.

The song seems innocent enough, and to be honest it's not much different to most other pop songs out there at the moment. The words don't mean much, they just fill music.

In the first verse one of the lines is 'we're looking for something dumb to do'.
Which doesn't sound shocking or alarming in any way.......... out of context that is. The following verses go,  'Hey baby,
I think I wanna marry you'.

Nothing too bad there really, however I think it's important to note that the singer is obviously bored, looking for some way to entertain himself. Also he "thinks" he'd like to marry the girl to whom this song is directed.

So, he's unsure and bored.

The following lines are pretty monotonous, choruses and etc. He suggests that they go to this little chapel he knows and get married, he encourages her to say yes to this idea, they get married and the church bells ring, la, la, la......  

The verses I found most shocking and in truth frightening were these ones;
 If we wake up and you wanna break up that's cool.
No, I won't blame you;
It was fun girl.
 I'm sorry, but does that sound like, let's get married, spend one night together as husband and wife, and then part ways in the morning? Is his view of marriage so low, is that his idea of commitment, and what happened to 'till death do you part"??? Those verses scream at me that he doesn't really care, he isn't bothered.

Is this really the view people have of marriage? Something to be done for fun? Without much thought? 

It scares me because if this is shown in one pop song, how many other pop songs are there with similar morals being sung to children from a young age? Songs are easy to remember, they stick in your head, which is why it's so important to be careful what you listen to. Is this the way the world is going? I know young Christian girls of 14/15 years old who have posted statuses on facebook along the lines of, 'I want to marry Bruno Mars, he's so romantic'. Really?? Seriously?? Shouldn't you be waiting for a man who will love you, provide for you, cherish you, adore you, protect you and guide you? Someone who is trying to model Christ's behaviour? I know I am.

To be truthful, Bruno is the kind of guy who I would go out of my way to avoid. I would run in the other direction. I don't want to marry someone who may leave me a week after we get married. Who wants to live with the constant dread that he may never come back? That you were just a whim a fling, a spur of the moment idea.

The other scary thing is that throughout the whole song, he never once says I love you, or tells her she's beautiful. He never calls her darling, or honey. He calls her babe - and personally, I never have, nor will I ever respond to that name.
There isn't even a hint of love in the whole of the song. 

God's idea of marriage is so opposed to Bruno's. Marriage is meant to last until one spouse dies. It is supposed to be beautiful, thought out, contemplated, prepared for, longed for, expected.

Marriage is meant to be an example of Jesus' love for his bride, the church. Jesus will never abandon us, no matter what we do. We can be wickedly unfaithful to him, yet he will continue to love us, yes he will discipline us, but he will never leave us, he is with us 'till death do us part, and forever after that too.
Jesus' love is unconditional, he will guide us and comfort us. He strengthens us and gives us everything we need.

How does that compare to Bruno Mars' love and his offer of a 24 hour long marriage?

Some part of me feels deep sadness for this misguided and lost artist. Unless he finds Jesus, he will always have an empty space in his heart. He will be in a life-long search for what he thinks love is. He will have countless girlfriends, he may even have countless marriages. But he will never truly be happy, and he won't know why.

Just something that caught my attention.

Love, love xxxx




4 comments:

  1. Wow, crazy! I've only heard a few Bruno Mars songs, one being Just The Way You Are, which apparently makes girls everywhere swoon :) It's so sad that this is the way our culture is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been a Bruno Mars fan, and I doubt I ever will if all his songs are like that. It's really sad to see how people tend to trivialize marriage and make it seem like some...one day thing that you can enjoy with just anyone you want to be with. I would gladly learn to love the Lord any day, than to trade it with falling in love with the "oh-so-romantic" Bruno Mars. I'm just grateful to God for His unending, unconditional love. It's forever amazing! Great post, C.C.!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I've heard of Bruno Mars but have only heard a couple of his songs - does he sing that song "You're Amazing"?? I do like that one if he does... but anyway, this one sounds like one best left alone. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have basically summed up my thoughts about Bruno Mars. Amen to everything you just said!

    ReplyDelete

Each comment is like a gift. They bring a smile to my face.